Note- There is no spelling mistake in the Title "Googol'.
Google celebrated its 13th birthday on 27th September 2011.
Google welcomes us with its new logos called Doodle on special ocassions.
I am writing this post because over the years Google has become an important part of my life. Google was the first website I visited as a netizen. The world of internet is incomplete without Google. Don’t agree??? Just imagine Internet without Google for a few seconds. It provides us with so many services like from the mails we send/receive to the photos we edit & share (Picasa and picnik) and the videos that we watch (YouTube).
Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Stanford University Graduates ( I wonder why they are not as famous as Steve Jobs or Bill Gates) were working on a search engine called BackRub. They named it Google and the name was derived from the word Googol which is a mathematical term to represent 1 followed by 100 zeros. Google’s mission is to organize the world‘s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
And now a days if you don't know anything, we just "Google" it.
Here are a few facts about Google -
- Google was incorporated in September1998.
- In July 2001, it launched Image Search.
- In January 2003, Google was the most useful word in America for 2002. (I think it should be the most useful word till today). The next month they acquired Pyra Labs (creators of Blogger).
- In August their IPO took place at NASDAQ.
- In June 2005 Google Earth was unveiled and in the next month Google Talk.
- In June 2006, Oxford English Dictionary added 'Google' as a verb. In October, Google acquired YouTube.
- On Valentine's Day 2007, Gmail was opened for everyone. In the same year in November, ANDRIOD (open platform for mobile devices and the most popular OS for mobiles & tablets) was launched.
- In September 2009, Chrome was launched.
- An important launch form India's point of view was launch of Google India Elections Centre in 2009 , where people could check if they are registered to vote and even find their polling places.
- And in June 2011 Google + project was launched.
And I don’t think that I need to mention from where I got the above stats…;D
Thank you Google !!!