Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Kanyakumari - 2

If you haven’t read the previous post, click here.

Now it was time to visit Triveni Sangam. It is the place where The Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea meet. There also a spiritual importance of this place. People come to wash off their sins here. An interesting question was asked to me by a foreign tourist in train while returning from Kanyakumari. She asked whether I thought taking a bath would wash off all my sins. To which I replied that I had not taken a bath out there instead just washed my feet. On my reply she asked whether that was sufficient enough to wash my sins. Then I had to explain her that I was there for fun and looking at the number of people taking bath and the dirt out there, I just symbolically washed my sins by only washing my feet. 

It is also a good location for viewing sunset. To me this place resembled to a chowpaty where there was horse ride, lots of stuff to eat and shop.  After the sunset from the same place, we can see the Vivekananda Rock Memorial and The Thiruvalluvar Statue beautifully lit up under lights.


 One can roam around the various shops near the Triveni Sangam.  The shops provide variety of products from the colorful sand, sea shells, cloths, spices and so on. 

Day 2 in Kanyakumari started early morning. I was lucky enough to get a view of sunrise from the hotel itself. Waiting for the sunrise feels like you are waiting your with camera for some celebrity who is supposed to arrive. Everyone around me was there geared up with their cameras, mobiles and tabs to capture that moment. And that moment came. 

Sunrsie !!!

Captured the rising sun with The Vivekanada Rock Memorial & Thiruvalluvar Statue




Watching a sunrise like this one was special because generally I (if I am awake early morning) watch the sun rising from behind some building of the city.

So next we headed towards the Kanyakumari Bhagavathiamman temple. Kanyakumari derives the name from this Goddess.  Near the temple at a walk able distance is the Mahatma Gandhi Memorial. Here the ashes of Mahatma Gandhi were kept before immersion.
Mahatma Gandhi Memorial


Later we headed for ‘The Shrine of Our lady of Ransom’. The church looks beautiful in white color and is constructed in Gothic style. This 153 feet structure was constructed in 1914.The Cross at the top of the Central tower is of pure gold. If you love beautiful buildings, this one is a must visit in Kanyakuamri. 




In my next post, a little more on Kanyakumari. Stay connected with Viewfinder on facebook : https://www.facebook.com/viewfinderblog




2 comments:

Total Pageviews